It's that time again. Time for lists and more lists. Best books. Best movies. Best comics. Everyone's got a list. I used to rant against lists. (It seems that Entertainment Weekly's got a "best of something" issue every few months.) But blogs are a great place for lists. Plus it is December and the last year of the so-called "aughts" . . . . So, in the best spirit of "if-you-can't-beat-'em-join-'em," here's my first list for the month:
Best TV of the Decade:
(Note: This is not a top-ten list. Why limit--or force--myself to ten entries?)
OK, that's five shows. There are many other great series from the past ten years and I'd like to discuss them all, but time and other obligations prevent me. Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention these other noteworthy series from the 2000's. They are:
The West Wing, Deadwood, Big Love, the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica (the last few seasons of Galactica make it one of the worst shows of the decade so let's just pretend they never happened!), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, and The Office (US version).
Of course, there are many series I've failed to see. Shows like Arrested Development, The Shield and House have consistently garnered great reviews. Their absence here says nothing about their quality.
Bonus! Best Single Episodes of the Decade (in no particular order):
* "Blink;" Doctor Who
* "The Body;" Buffy the Vampire Slayer
* "17 People;" The West Wing
* "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers;" South Park
* "Out of Gas;" Firefly
* "Training;" The Office (UK)
* "The Constant;" LOST
* "Pilot, Parts 1 & 2;" LOST
* "Here Was a Man;" Deadwood
* "33;" Battlestar Galactica
* "You Can't Go Home Again;" Battlestar Galactica
* "Hush;" Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Technically, this aired in December of 1999, but I can't let such a great episode be overlooked.)
That's it for now. More lists to come!
14 hours ago