Monday, May 18, 2009

(Tiny) Bits and Pieces

It's just one of those months. Life is very busy at the moment and when that happens blogging really falls by the wayside.

While I like to provide posts of at least some substance, I'm afraid that for now I'm limiting myself to some comments and some links. Wish I could do more, but personal commitments will have me busy until mid-June. (I'll try to post a few things in the next few weeks, but everything is going to be pretty abridged for now.)

So . . .

Television

Lost had a good season but there seemed to be something missing. I loved the beginning and really liked the time-shifting episodes; but once things settled down in 1977 at the Dharma village the show started to drag a bit. I liked the final episode (and like it better the more I think about it) but we probably can't fully judge it until we see the sixth-season premiere. (I will say the ending was the biggest letdown since season one, though!)

Dollhouse, however, was the biggest surprise of the season. It started so slow I almost tuned out. But then the show found direction and became one of the best science fiction series in years. I look forward to season 2!

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was always solid and worthwhile. And Summer Glau's performance was spectacular. The show had great potential but sadly has been canceled.

Reaper has been playing for laughs. The show is good but it has room for heavier storylines. I doubt we'll see more of this series.

Books

For sophisticated, breath-taking science fiction, I highly recommend Mind Over Ship by David Marusek. (But first you need to read Marusek's Counting Heads.) Also, don't miss the classic mystery/thriller The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing.

David Lynch

I loved this! What if David Lynch had directed Dirty Dancing? Perfect!

Also: Imagine Lynch films (and other great movies) given the Criterion box art treatment! (I love the Fire Walk With Me and Mulholland Drive. And check out Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Eyes Wide Shut. Beautiful.)

Oh, I found the above links at The House Next Door -- a great blog. Speaking of which . . .

David Foster Wallace

The House Next Door has a wonderful interview with Glenn Kenny, the editor of David Foster Wallace's essays for Premiere magazine (including the David Lynch piece). There's also some great behind-the-scenes info about Wallace and Kenny's visit to the Adult Video News Awards (the basis for the essay, "Big Red Son," aka "Neither Adult Nor Entertainment.")

Well, that's all for now. I'll try to post the occasional entry as time permits. (Still reading Beautiful Dark.) I will have more time to write by the middle of June!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, don't doubt Reaper! ABC Studios is negotiating with local CW affiliates to run a third season on Sunday nights. Write your CW affiliate and say there's a fanbase in your area and it would be a ratings boost for them on Sunday nights! Look up your CW affiliate here: http://www.cwtv.com/stations. Also write to ABC Studios http://abc.go.com/site/contactus.html?lid=ABCCOMGlobalFooter&lpos=CONTACT -- encouraging them to keep promoting the syndication of Reaper! International viewers, write your affiliates/networks too. Draft emails and other ideas at reaperdmv.com. Come on, folks! This is our chance!

    If you’re thinking that Tyler’s new show and Michele/Tara’s new contract at Fox mean the show isn’t coming back: Tyler says that Reaper has contractual priority and anyway will be a midseason show, and Tara told us that she and Michele would still be consultants if Reaper gets a third season. So, write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see Reaper return. And who knows? It might! I thought it was a goner last season and they brought it back. Let's hope lightning strikes twice!

    ReplyDelete